University of San Diego School Description
The University of San Diego is a Roman Catholic institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal and professional knowledge, creating a diverse and inclusive community, and preparing leaders dedicated to ethical conduct and compassionate service.
Chartered in 1949, the university enrolls more than 7,000 students and is known for its commitment to teaching, the liberal arts, the formation of values and community service.
Located on 180 acres overlooking the city of San Diego, Mission Bay and the Pacific Ocean, the campus is a community treasure, with Spanish Renaissance- inspired buildings and breathtakingly beautiful landscapes.
USD offers more than 60 bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. The university adds depth to education by inspiring students to grow spiritually, morally and socially.
University of San Diego
The University of San Diego is a Roman Catholic university in San Diego, California. USD (an abbreviation also used by the University of South Dakota) offers more than sixty bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs. The university consists of six schools: the School of Business Administration, the School of Leadership and Education Sciences, the School of Law, the School of Nursing & Health Science, the College of Arts & Sciences, and the Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies.
float|thumb|left|210px|Immaculata Parish Church at USD showing the architectural style of the campus.
Chartered in 1949, the University opened its doors to its first class of students in 1952 as the San Diego College for Women. Most Reverend Charles F. Buddy, D.D., then bishop of the Diocese of San Diego and Reverend Mother Rosalie Hill, RSCJ, a Superior Vicaress of the Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, chartered the institution from resources drawn from their respective organizations on a stretch of land known as "Alcalá Park," named for San Diego de Alcalá. In September 1954, the San Diego College for Men and the School of Law opened. These two schools originally occupied Bogue Hall on the same site of University High School, which would later become the home of the University of San Diego High School. Starting in 1954, Alcalá Park also served as the diocesan chancery office and housed the episcopal offices, until the diocese moved to a vacated Benedictine convent that was converted to a pastoral center. In 1957, Immaculate Heart Major Seminary and St. Francis Minor Seminary were moved into their newly completed facility, now known as Maher Hall. The Immaculata Chapel, now no longer affiliated with USD, also opened that year as part of the seminary facilities. For nearly two decades, these schools co-existed on Alcalá Park. Immaculate Heart closed at the end of 1968, when its building was renamed De Sales Hall; St. Francis remained open until 1970, when it was transferred to another location on campus, leaving all of the newly named Bishop Leo T. Maher Hall to the newly merged co-educational University of San Diego in 1972. Since then, the University has grown quickly and dramatically increased its assets and academic programs with the financial capital coming primarily from the student body. The community, including local patrons and businesses, has also been integral to the University's success.